Psychological Assessment, Diagnostic, Counselling and Consulting Services
SAGE offers a range of psychological services which include assessment, diagnosis, treatment, intervention, counselling and psychotherapy to both children and adult populations in diverse problems areas.
Psychological Assessment and Diagnostic Services – Adults and Children
The professionals offering psychological assessment and diagnostic services are either licensed psychologists and/or residents in psychology who have access to a wide variety of psychometric assessments and diagnostic materials. These include measures of intelligence, personality and adaptive behaviors, executive functioning, attention and achievement. Conditions including attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), behavioral and neurological disorders, depression, mood disorders, learning disabilities, trauma, phobias and obsessive compulsive behaviors can be confidentially assessed and diagnosed.
Psychological assessments may vary greatly in length, (from 5 to 20 hours) depending upon the complexity of the client’s condition, availability of information, and the referral source expectations. Assessment and diagnostic services usually depend on the systematic administration and interpretation of psychometric testing instruments that become increasingly more focused and detailed in order to reach a diagnosis, problem formulation, occupational opinion or similar conclusions.
Adult Psychological assessments usually include:
- An initial interview to consider relevant past psychological history, family psychological history, current social patterns and the history of the presenting complaints;
- Review of pertinent and available records and documents
- The administration and interpretation of the chosen testing materials including;
- A behavioral inquiry into all major psychological functions (and detailed inquiry into one or more such functions as indicated);
- Assessment of emotional or personality characteristics
- A composite intellectual evaluation
- A more specific interview to investigate any indicated emotional or personality conditions;
- The integration and complete documentation of the results;
- A written report including the formulation of the diagnosis and/or strength and problem identification or similar integrating opinion and recommendations to the client.
Children & Adolescents psycho-educational assessments usually include:
- A review of academic history and of the presenting strengths and complaints
- A review of pertinent records and documents
- A composite intellectual evaluation;
- A behavioral inquiry into and assessment of intellectual or cognitive abilities;
- A detailed evaluation of learning skills or disabilities as may be indicated;
- An investigation of the emotional or personality factors influencing academic acquisition or performance;
- Collation, integration and complete documentation of the results of the foregoing;
- A written formulation of the issues, recommendations, treatment options, and accommodation advice to for the child or youth.
Psychological Counselling Services – Adults and Children
SAGE is able to offer psychological counselling services that most closely meet the particular needs of each client. Psychological counseling services may use a variety of therapeutic approaches including behavior therapy, cognitive therapy, relationship therapy, as well as individual, couple, and family therapy. Psychologists address the individual needs of each client through the use specialized counselling, recommendations and consultations that are recognized to be among the most effective to assist with such issues such as anxiety, anger management, grief and loss, divorce and separation, as well as sexual, physical, and emotional abuse. The following offers a partial list of the key areas of counselling interventions that are offered by SAGE Inc. psychologists to children, youth and adults.
|Anger Management||Antisocial Behavior|
|Chemical Dependence||Childhood Traumas|
|Eating Disorder||Educational Deficits|
|Family Conflicts||Grief / Unresolved Loss|
|Impulse Control Disorder||Intimate Relationship Conflicts|
|Legal Conflicts||Low Self-Esteem|
|Mania or Hypomania||Medical Issues|
|Obsessive – Compulsive Behaviors||Paranoid Ideation|
|Phobia – Panic||Psychoticism|
|Sexual Abuse||Sexual Dysfunctions|
|Social Discomfort||Sleep Disturbance|
|Spiritual Confusion||Suicidal Ideation|
|Trauma (PTSD)||Vocational Stress|
|Giftedness/intellectual development||Learning disabilities|
|Peer and family relations||School related problems|
|Sexual Abuse||Study skills and organization|
Psychological Consultation Services
SAGE psychologists are well accustomed to provide professional opinions and consultations to referral agents. An opinion in the form of a written report may be forwarded to a referring professional following the performance of a specific assessment or file review. Consultations usually occur when a referral agent identifies a behaviorally significant question which needs to be interpreted and translated into meaningful terminology and recommendations by the consultant. Psychologists may also apply psychological knowledge, principles and methods to consult with persons, agencies and organizations rather than the direct provision of services to clients